Monday, May 10, 2010

Dinner in a pinch...Seared Scallops & Mediterranean Cous Cous Salad

Last night I got a little caught up at work and was running late to meet my friend Erin at my place. I had promised to cook dinner for her to make up for bailing on our last meeting and she was already on her way over to my apartment in Chelsea for dinner and I was still at the office! I had to think fast, what can I whip up quickly without scrimping on flavor and a little bit of presentation for one of my oldest friends…?

Knowing Erin she's craving something healthy and light, so I’m thinking seafood. What’s the fastest cooking seafood? That would be scallops!

People don't usually cook scallops at home, I think there is some intimidation factor or something. But seared scallops are super simple to make – the reason I usually don’t order them at a restaurant.
The key is to make sure the sea scallops are dry. My little tip is to wrap the scallops in a few paper towel sheets and pop them back in the fridge for a few minutes. Any moisture will make it difficult to get that desirable golden sear which is what its all about. I like my scallops to be the best of both worlds, golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside. Ok I like my scallops raw on the inside, which is totally safe and i think delicious but I know its not for everyone.

I’ve been craving cous cous from my favorite Moroccan restaurant in the East Village so I decided to re-create the dish with the seared scallops.
Cous cous is perfect for my rushed dinner because it's delicious... and yes, it only takes three minutes to cook. Toss in some diced tomatoes, cucumber, fresh parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil and you have yourself a deliciously healthy cous cous salad and the perfect impromptu spring dinner.

***Recipe***

Seared Sea Scallops
Serves 2

Ingredients:

10 fresh sea scallops
zest of 1 lemon
teas of salt
teas of pepper
tab butter
tab extra virgin olive oil


Season your dry sea scallops on both sides with salt, pepper, and lemon zest.

In a large frying pan, heat the butter + extra virgin olive oil over high heat.

When the pan is virtually smoking hot, gently place the scallops on the pan with ample room in between for 2 -3 minutes per side.
Hint: No peeking or prodding, there is no need to worry about them so let them do their thing!



Cous Cous Salad
Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 box of Israeli style Cous Cous
½ cup of diced cucumber
½ cup of diced tomato
¼ cup of diced flat leaf parsley
juice of ½ a lemon
1 tab of extra virgin olive oil
teas of salt
teas of pepper


Boil couscous for 3 minutes or until al dente as you would for pasta, drain well, and toss with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.

Toss together the couscous, tomatoes, cucumber, chopped parsley, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment